At the start of a new year, it’s important to evaluate the past and prepare for the future. Below are a few strategies to dive into 2023 with the right mindset and game plan.
With today’s go-go-go culture and endless distractions, we typically move from one thing to another without any reflection. Or oftentimes, we just focus on what went wrong instead of celebrating areas of growth and accomplishments. I encourage you to take a mindful pause and think back on 2022 before kicking off the new year.
- What did I learn about myself this year?
- Is there a new skill I developed?
- What went well? Personal and professional accomplishments.
- What challenged me?
- What lessons did I learn?
- What am I excited to leave behind?
- What am I looking forward to the most about the new year?
If you have a big family or a busy social calendar, recharging over the holidays may seem like an oxymoron. It’s important to make this a priority though, so you can start the new year rejuvenated and ready to go!
Here are a few ways to recharge:
- Disconnect from work and technology – Set boundaries with Out Of Office notifications and communicate your time off in advance to clients and coworkers. Schedule an activity you enjoy and turn your phone on silent so you can be fully present.
- Learn to say no – You’ll spread yourself thin if you overcommit. People understand that it’s a busy time of year and you can’t make it to everything.
- Help others – Giving back not only helps those in your community but it provides you with joy and fulfillment.
- Focus on your health – Catch up on sleep and move your body. You don’t want to begin January feeling sick and exhausted.
Don’t forget to set time aside for goal setting before diving into a new year. What do you want to accomplish in 2023? Having clear targets provides us with focus, clarity, direction, and purpose.
Tips for goal setting
- In addition to professional goals, what are some personal goals that you want to accomplish? Be sure to create goals in a variety of categories.
- Small goals accomplish your big goals. What should be done on a daily and weekly basis to make 2023 a success?
- Make your goals SMART: specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound
- Share your goals with someone to create accountability
- Review your goals on a regular basis to make sure you’re on track